Senior Policy Analyst
Position: Senior Policy Analyst
Location: Hartford, CT
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Type: Full time, salaried, non-exempt
Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable outcomes.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and groups to effectively drive and shape real change.
As a community organization and collaborative partner, we utilize organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and research to secure transformative and lasting change. More details about Katal can be found on our website: www.katalcenter.org.
About the Position
The Senior Policy Analyst supports and provides capacity to the Community Organizing team through policy advocacy, analysis, research, and writing. The Senior Policy Analyst will work for robust criminal justice, drug policy, and other public policy reform in Connecticut and New York State. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Producing analysis of legislative proposals and public acts
- Producing fact sheets and summaries of legislation and ordinances for people in neighborhoods and for lawmaker education
- Tracking policy and report on Katal’s policy priorities
- Managing some relationships with partners and allies
- Developing policy reports for internal strategy sessions and public Strategy Caucuses
- Collaborating with the organizing team in planning and execution of lobby days, public hearings, and coalition meetings
- Representing Katal in hearings, public forums, coalition meetings, and conferences
- Coordinating with the team and strategizing to advance campaign goals, including facilitating tight collaboration with Katal organizers, leaders, and members
Research and Writing
- Analyzing legislative language
- Conducting issue-based research, producing fact sheets, reports, memos, etc.
- Preparing oral and written testimony for Katal staff and Co-Executive Directors
- Coordinating with and supporting the Communications team for particular issues/events
- Crafting press materials and content for op-eds and newsletters
- Assist with development of content for social media
- Preparing talking points on key issues
- Completing tasks as needed in support of the team and organization
- Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff
- Supervising staff and interns, including graduate students
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goals
- Initiating Action (Initiative): Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive
- Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable
- Linking program/functional objectives to the strategic goals of the organization and translating them to performance objectives
- Managing complexity effectively
- Communicating ideas successfully up/down/across/outside the organization
- A working analysis of systemic racism and power, and an eagerness to learn more
- You are keenly interested in the mission and goals of Katal
- You have at least five years of experience in policy advocacy and analysis; absent direct legislative experience, you have a graduate degree with compelling, comparable, deep experience in the public health or legal fields.
- You are a strong technical writer and are a very detail oriented person
- You can effectively communicate on the phone, in writing, and in person
- You’re a problem solver
- You’re a committed team player
- You’re ready to work hard and quickly
- You understand that there is some travel required, as well as periodic work on weekends and evenings – especially during (but not limited to) the legislative session
What You Need to Know to Apply
The salary range for the Senior Policy Analyst is $59k - $73k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage, gym memberships, 401k, life insurance, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
The Senior Policy Analyst reports to the Co-Executive Directors. There will be work on some nights and weekends. Travel throughout CT and NY is part of the job. This position requires the staff person to work out of the Katal office in Hartford, CT.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- Why are you the right fit for the Senior Policy Analyst position?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your résumé or CV
- A writing sample of no more than six pages (links to online examples are acceptable)
- Your salary requirement
Submit your application package by email to email@example.com with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Senior Policy Analyst”
- Applications are currently being accepted, and will be reviewed immediately.
- Only application packages received by email will be considered.
- We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please, don’t call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.