Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable communities and outcomes.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape real change.
what we do
As a community organization and collaborative partner, we utilize organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and research to secure transformative and lasting change. Our work includes:
- Developing and executing high-impact organizing and advocacy reform campaigns at the municipal and state level, frequently through collaborations with partner organizations who share our values
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of directly impacted people, neighborhood residents, and local groups
- Leveraging municipal and county level reform work to advance state-based reforms.
- Practicing facilitative leadership, a co-creative model centered on deep collaboration
- Utilizing public health research, tools, and methodologies
- Providing training and technical assistance for organizing, campaign development, advocacy, communications, and more
- Measuring and evaluate the quantitative and qualitative impact of our work