Position: Operations Manager
Location: Hartford, CT
Reports to: Co Executive Directors
Type: Part time, hourly, non-exempt
Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable outcomes.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and groups to effectively drive and shape real change.
As a community organization and collaborative partner, we utilize organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and research to secure transformative and lasting change.
About the Position:
The Operations Manager facilitates the organization’s core day-to-day operations functions. The Manager must be adaptable, detail oriented, and organized. The Manager reports directly to the Co-Executive Directors and ultimately provides support and capacity to the Co-Executive Directors. The Manager works approximately 18-24 hours a week.
- Manage day-to-day administrative operations of the organization’s office environments in Hartford, Brooklyn, and Albany
- Support each office
- Assist with planning and coordinating Katal events, meetings, presentations, and conferences
- Other related duties as needed
Supporting the Co-Executive Directors (15%)
- Support for Co-Executive Directors, including scheduling, travel, etc.
- At least three years of experience with Operations / admin – or equivalent
- Led/managed change initiatives (i.e. implemented a program, policy or systems change)
- Initiated review of systems and/or procedures for efficiency
- At least two years of experience within fast paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Basic computer knowledge in programs like Microsoft Office, Dropbox,
- Experience with web based project management programs, such as Asana, and other app based administration and management software
- Knowledge of healthcare, criminal justice, housing issues a plus
- Effective at setting performance goals
- Focuses on Implementing and maintaining systems
- Fully owns responsibilities
- Identifies and learns from mistakes
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues
- Communicates effectively, in person and online
- Prioritizes effectively
- Focuses on advancing and promoting values and vision of the organization
- You love the details and are extremely organized
- You enjoy the “behind the scenes” work of operations
- You can maintain balance in a fast-paced organization
- You are an active listener
- You take responsibility for your work
- You have a working analysis of racial justice and are willing to learn more
- You will help others understand the organization’s vision and values and their importance
- You can manage complexity
What You Need to Know to Apply
The pay rate for the part-time Operations Manager is $25/hour, plus benefits. Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage, gym memberships, 401k, life insurance, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
Operations Manager reports to the Co-Executive Directors. There will be work on some nights and weekends. Travel to Albany and Brooklyn is part of the job. This position requires the staff person to work out of the Katal office in Hartford, CT.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- Why are you the right fit for the Operations Manager position?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your résumé or CV
- Three references
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Operations Manager”
- Applications will be reviewed immediately.
- Only application packages received by email will be considered.
- We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please, don’t call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.