Katal is Hiring a Policy Associate
Position: Policy Associate
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports to: Director of Policy
Type: Full time, hourly, non-exempt
Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable outcomes.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and groups to effectively drive and shape real change.
As a community based organization we utilize organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and research to secure transformative and lasting change. More details about Katal can be found on our website: www.katalcenter.org.
About the Position
The Policy Associate supports and provides capacity to the Policy and Organizing team through advocacy, policy analysis, research, and writing. The Policy Associate works for robust criminal justice, drug policy, and other public policy reform in Connecticut and New York State. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Policy Advocacy and Research:
- Conducting issue-based research, producing fact sheets, reports, memos, etc.
- Produce fact sheets and memos on Katal’s policy priorities
- Tracking policy and reporting on Katal’s policy priorities
- Arranging, preparing for, and attending meetings with elected officials
- Assisting with planning and execution of lobby days public hearings, and coalition meetings
- Assist with preparing oral and written testimony for Katal Director of Policy.
- Attending hearings, public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and actions
- Providing support for meetings and events
- Supporting the Communication team for particular issues/event
- Drafting content, including for press materials and social media t Compiling, collating, collect equipment and materials for presentations, trainings and exercises as directed
- Track and compile relevant news articles and announcements germane to Katal policy priorities
- Completing tasks as needed in support of the team and organization
Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goals. Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- Initiating Action (Initiative): Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals; being proactive through quick responses, independent actions, and going above and beyond.
- A working analysis of systemic racism and power -- and an eagerness to learn more
- You are keenly interested in the mission and goals of Katal.
- You have at least two years’ experience in policy work; absent direct legislative experience, you have an undergraduate degree or compelling and comparable experience in the public health or legal fields.
- You are a strong writer and are detail oriented.
- You can effectively communicate on the phone, in writing, and in person.
- You’re a problem solver.
- You’re a committed team player.
- You’re ready to work at a fast pace.
- You understand that there is some travel required, as well as periodic work on weekends and evenings – especially during (but not limited to) the legislative session.
What You Need to Know to Apply
The salary range for the Policy Assistant is $45k - $55k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage, gym memberships, 401k, life insurance, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
The Policy Associate reports to the Director of Policy. There will be work on some nights and weekends. Travel in NY and CT is part of the job. This position requires the staff person to work out of the Katal office in Brooklyn, NY.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- Why are you the right fit for this position?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your résumé or CV
- A writing sample of no more than six pages (links to online examples are acceptable).
- Your salary requirement
Submit your application package by email to [email protected] with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – “Policy Assistant”
- Deadline to apply is October 10, 2019. However, applications will be reviewed immediately and interviews for selected candidates may begin before the deadline.
- Only application packages received by email will be considered.
- Only complete application packages will be considered.
- We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – don’t call to check on your submission
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.