Faith-Based Call-In Day for Bail Reform on Wed March 21
Join faith leaders taking ACTION across the state for a faith-based call-in day on Wednesday, March 21 to ask our elected officials to show the leadership necessary to end the suffering of tens of thousands of New Yorkers this year. We are asking you to take five minutes to call the Governor and your representatives in the Assembly and the Senate to tell them: New York needs real bail reform now. No one should be in jail because they can't afford bail. A sample call script is below.
- Call Governor Cuomo: 518-474-8390
- Call your State Senator: NYS Senate switchboard at (518) 455-2800. If you don't know who your state senator is, they'll tell you: when prompted and once you say your zip code/address out loud, the line should automatically connect you.
- Call your State Assemblyperson: Assembly switchboard at 518-455-4100. If you don't know who your state assemblyperson is, they'll tell you: when prompted and once you say your zip code/address out loud, the line should automatically connect you.
If you have another three minutes, consider making two additional calls:
Tell them: No one should be in jail because they can't afford bail. A call script is below.
As the state's session for debating the budget draws to a close, it is important we come together and make our voices heard in Albany for meaningful bail reform!
Thank you for joining the fight for pretrial justice! For more information about the call-in day or about ways to plug into our bail reform efforts, feel free to reach out to Sean Hill at [email protected]/347-921-0826.
Katal Bail Reform NY Call To Action
Introduce yourself and explain the issue. You can read directly from the script below, or use your own words. Remember to remain calm and clear, to ensure the message is consistent.
- Hello, my name is ____________________
- I am a constituent of (name of Senator or Assemblymember)
- I’m calling to express my support for bail reform. I encourage (name of Senator or Assemblymember) to support and pass meaningful reform in the state budget now.
- The Governor, Assembly, and Senate members have all expressed a commitment to reforming our bail practices
- No one should be sitting in jail because they can't afford bail. Please reform bail now.