About us: The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We have three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs; and
- advancing evidence-based solutions to promote and secure health, equity, and justice.
Our experience has taught us that through effective community organizing, informed by an analysis of systemic racism, we can take on critical problems -- like mass criminalization -- turn them into winnable issues, and make real changes in the lives of our members and communities.
About the Position: Executive Assistant
Katal is seeking a full-time Executive Assistant to provide operational and programmatic support to the Co-Executive Directors. The right candidate will be committed to getting results and be able to handle competing priorities in an ever-changing landscape. This position is ideal for a highly organized, detail-oriented individual who wants to learn and grow, and who possesses a strong interest in racial justice and in Katal’s mission and work. We are looking for a committed, reliable professional who is excited about this role and team. In providing operational and programmatic support to the Co-Executive Directors, you’ll have the unique opportunity – and responsibility – for working on a wide variety of projects, across every facet of the organization.
Important note: Because COVID-19 continues to upend the world and all our lives, we want to emphasize that position will require flexibility, responsiveness and patience as we all navigate these uncertain times.
Responsibilities in supporting the Co-Executive Directors:
Operational, including Admin and Development:
- Providing administrative assistance, including writing and editing emails; researching and drafting memos; some scheduling for the Co-Exec directors; managing files, etc.
- Organizing meetings, including scheduling, sending reminders and managing meeting logistics when necessary
- Assisting with preparing and tracking grant proposals and reports
- Other operational/administrative/development tasks as needed
Programmatic, including Organizing and Communications:
- Assisting with logistical support for our organizing campaigns
- Assisting with communications, including drafting content (for website, socials, fact sheets, press releases)
- Other programmatic tasks as needed
- You will need to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance, and exhibit integrity and transparency to the Co-Executive Directors
- Any other duties as assigned to help the Co-Executive Directors complete their work
- Excellent self-organization, emotional intelligence, and superb writing skills are absolutely paramount
- Results focused, detail-oriented, and able to meet deadline
- At least 2 years work experience
- Familiarity with the social justice or political landscape in Connecticut and/or New York preferred
- Experience and/or strong familiarity with Digital/Social Media preferred
- Passion for and knowledge of Katal’s work
- A working analysis of systemic racism and power, and an eagerness to learn more
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing small and large changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to changes in the campaign landscape
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goal
- Initiating Action (Initiative): Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive
- Tenacity to a see project work through to completion.
- Remaining flexible and effective in a fast-paced and evolving environment where praxis and teamwork are highly valued.
Other details and how to apply:
Position reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Compensation: Salary for this position is $50,000 - $57,000, commensurate with experience. Katal provides a generous benefits and perks package, including full health care, dental and vision; gym memberships) life insurance; 401k, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
Schedule: This is a full time role, 40 hours a week. Regular schedule is business hours EST, Monday thru Friday. Schedule varies based on priorities, and will require working some evenings and weekends, as needed.
Location: Due to COVID-19, this position is currently REMOTE, and will remain so until at least the end of 2020. We will eventually return to our offices in Brooklyn and Hartford, and candidates should be prepared to work out of one of those offices when we do.
To Apply: Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Executive Assistant”:
- Your résumé or CV
- A cover letter, no more than one page, that answers the following:
- Why do you want to work at Katal?
- Why do you want this job, as an Executive Assistant?
- If hired, how would you know you are being successful in this position?
- If you have them, please include links to your Facebook URL and Twitter URL.
While we appreciate all applicants, please be advised that we can only respond to those we intend to interview. No phone calls, please. For more information about Katal, please visit our website at www.katalcenter.org
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or disability.