Director of Communications
Position: Director of Communications
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Deadline to Apply: March 27, 2020. Preferred start date is early April 2020
The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We have three big, interrelated goals:
• building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
• ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs; and
• advancing evidence-based solutions to promote and secure health, equity, and justice.
Our experience has taught us that through effective community organizing, informed by an analysis of systemic racism, we can take on critical problems, like mass criminalization, turn them into winnable issues, and make real changes in the lives of our members and communities.
The Director works with the Co-Executive Directors, staff, and our members to develop and implement multi-tiered strategic communications plans that advances Katal’s objectives. This includes using traditional and digital communications strategies to build public support for organizational priorities; coordinating timely responses to emerging media opportunities; managing the organization’s digital infrastructure; producing materials and events; managing consultants and staff; and expanding Katal’s audience, reach, and impact. This is a leadership position with management responsibilities.
As a member of a small staff team, the ideal candidate: knows that effective communications can be the difference between winning and losing a campaign; has experience with digital/online campaigning and traditional media; has superb writing skills and a keen eye for graphic design; is committed to Katal’s campaigns; and remains flexible and effective in a fast-paced and evolving environment where praxis and teamwork are highly valued.
Traditional and grassroots media (45%) – Work closely with the Co-Executive Directors, Director of Organizing, and others to strengthen and implement Katal’s grassroots media work, including:
• Managing media outreach and responses to media requests, including drafting and pitching press advisories and press releases; preparing spokespeople for particular media requests; share daily & occasion-specific listing of relevant news media clips; coordinate relevant training opportunities for members; draft updates to media materials (e.g. talking points, press advisories) as needed; when appropriate, communicating messaging shifts with key campaign spokespeople and partners.
• Managing design and production of materials/media for distribution. Work with relevant staff, members and partners to manage development, design, production, and distribution of print, digital, and multimedia materials for Katal campaigns.
• Strengthening Internal Comms Capacity: Training Katal staff and partners in effective communications strategies and skillsets; developing and implementing practices and tools across the organization to amplify Katal’s work in social media.
Online & mobile communications (45%) – Develop and drive digital and online communications strategies to engage audiences in Katal campaigns, key events, issue education and fundraising, including:
• Develop and manage content: Including: producing weekly email update; drafting and posting website content; managing design development for graphics and website, etc, including drafting concepts and/or working with relevant design vendors to execute projects; creating and managing content calendar and draft content, including writing, graphics, imagery; develop audience engagement strategies, including list segmentation/customization, to expand the reach and impact of communications to Katal’s lists.
• Manage and grow Katal’s social media properties: Including: Producing and curating daily content (text, graphic, video, audio, etc.) for social media platforms; cultivating and engaging online audiences; targeting key audiences to take action, both online (e.g. sign petition) and offline (e.g. attend rally); monitoring social media networks for news and trend developments related to key campaign issues; developing strategies to engage Katal’s voice/leadership in the conversation.
• Metrics: Using metrics of our social media and list engagement to assess reach/impact and inform digital/online communications strategy.
Other Responsibilities (10%)
• Provide logistical and administrative support campaign actions as needed.
• Share infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff.
Qualifications and Skills of Ideal Candidate
• Passion for/knowledge of Katal’s work and demonstrated commitment to the vision and values of Katal.
• At least 4-6 years of experience developing and leading successful multi-tiered communication strategies, preferably for advocacy and/or political campaigns.
• At least 3-5 years of experience supervising staff, consultants, interns, volunteers.
• Superb writing and editing skills, including a demonstrated ability to analyze issues, think strategically; and writing well, quickly, and within deadlines.
• Strong understanding of and experience with developing branding, online engagement and managing a variety of social media platforms.
• Proven track record of cultivating relationships with key reporters to secure positive and prominent media coverage of key issues and spokespeople.
• Strong interpersonal, coaching and team skills, including: Demonstrated experience supporting and developing media spokesperson skills of grassroots leaders, and ability to understand and act on complexities of group/coalition dynamics.
• Understanding of, and flexibility in, a small team, fast-paced environment and excellent organizational skills: creative, results and detail-oriented, excellent judgement and able to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities within deadlines.
• A working analysis of systemic racism and power, and an eagerness to learn more
• Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing small and large changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to changes in the campaign landscape
• Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
• Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goal
• Initiating Action (Initiative): Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive
• Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable
• Linking program/functional objectives to the strategic goals of the organization and translating them to performance objectives
• Integrating cross-functional perspectives in decisions
• Managing complexity effectively
• Communicating ideas successfully up/down/across the organization
• Fostering strategic partnerships/alliances to achieve the organization’s vision
• Balancing trade-offs between the short and long-term
Position reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Compensation, Schedule, Location: This is a full-time, salaried leadership position with a generous benefits package, including full medical, dental, and vision coverage. Current salary range for this position is $70k - $85k, based on experience and qualifications. Regular schedule is business hours M – F, but schedule varies based on priorities and activities of Katal’s campaigns, and will require working evenings and weekends, as needed. This position is based in our Brooklyn, NY office, and some travel in Connecticut and New York is required.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "First Name Last Name -- Director of Communications.”
• A one page cover letter
• Your résumé or CV
• A writing sample of no more than two pages (links to online examples are welcome); if you have design experience, please share one or two examples
• Three references (at least two must be former supervisors or colleagues)
No phone calls, please. While we appreciate all applicants, please be advised that we can only respond to those we intend to interview. For more information about Katal, please visit our website at www.katalcenter.org
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, or disability.