Position: Policy Strategist
Location: Hartford, CT
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice launched in February 2016 with a mission to advance practical and transformative reforms to systems, policies, and processes to strengthen health, equity, and justice for all. The principles of undoing racism grounds our work.
We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing health, equity, and justice in public safety and drug control.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity among community members, local leaders, advocates, and community groups to effectively work for social change.
About the position:
The Policy Strategist serves a leadership role in Connecticut, working for robust criminal justice and drug policy reform, including decriminalization, bail reform, sentencing reform, and more.
The Policy Strategist responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advocacy: advocating for legislation at the municipal and state level; coordinating implementation of multi-year campaign-specific workplans; building and cultivating strong relationships with policymakers, organizations, and community members; conducting presentations; representing Katal in hearings, public forums, coalition meetings, and conferences; strategizing to advance campaign goals.
- Communications: coordinating communications efforts for particular issue areas (social media, press, etc.); drafting press materials and content for op-eds and newsletters; and drafting and monitoring social media content.
- Research: analyzing policy and legislation; conducting research; producing fact sheets, reports, memos, and meeting summaries; preparing oral and written testimony.
- Administration: tasks as needed in support of the team and organization.
You might be the right person for this job if:
You work hard and push to give your all. You want to build something great that makes our State more equitable and just. You love working as part of a team.
You have at least three years’ experience as community organizer or policy advocate, with experience leading organizing or campaign work. You have a graduate degree in public health or law, or compelling, comparable experience in those fields.
You are a very strong writer. You’re a good listener. You know how to facilitate a productive meeting. You are an effective communicator – on the phone, in writing, and in person.
You are committed to racial justice and harm reduction.
You think well on your feet, don’t get flustered easily, and when things change, you know how to roll with the punches. You are a detailed-oriented problem solver, and you are hungry to dive into new challenges with steep learning curves.
You’re passionate about ending mass incarceration and the drug war, addressing racial disparities, and developing solutions rooted in health, safety, and human rights.
You are motivated and driven. When you come across a new topic you don’t know about, you’re ready to dive in to learn it. You seek to grow, and you believe that anything you do is worth doing well. It helps if you have a sense of humor.
What you need to know to apply:
This is a full time, salaried, mid-level position with opportunities for development and advancement. As Katal grows, there are also potential supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Salary range is $55k-$65k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers full health care coverage and competitive benefits, with professional development opportunities. There will be work on some nights and weekends. Travel throughout the state is part of the job. You must live in Connecticut.
The Policy Strategist regularly reports to the Policy Director; until that position is filled, the Policy Strategist will report to the Co-Executive Directors.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your résumé
- A writing sample of no more than four pages (links to online examples are acceptable).
- Your salary requirement
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – CT Policy Strategist”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – don’t call to check on your submission
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, formerly incarcerated and/or convicted people are encouraged to apply.