Position: Community Organizer
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Co-Executive Director
Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Katal is a community organization headquartered in Hartford, CT, with offices in Brooklyn and Albany, NY. We work to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. As a state-based organization and collaborative partner, Katal utilizes organizing, advocacy, leadership development, and research to secure transformative and lasting change.
We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, local groups, organizers, and advocates to effectively drive and shape change.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable access and outcomes.
About the Position: Community Organizer
The Community Organizer is a member of the Organizing team, building Katal’s base of members and leaders and developing the leadership of directly impacted people.
Responsibilities of the Community Organizer include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting weekly outreach and relational meetings with people in neighborhoods
- Identifying new Katal members to build a strong member base
- Prioritize talking to directly impacted people and their loved ones
- Developing members into leaders that will play prominent roles in campaign planning
- Coordinating Katal members participation in public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and policy reform days
- Developing leaders into spokespeople for speaking engagements and media interviews
- Planning, organizing, and facilitating regular member meetings
- Planning and coordinating actions for Katal’s campaigns
- Supporting the work of our partner organizations
- Updating database daily
- Engaging in policy advocacy
- Attending and tracking allied coalition and meeting spaces
- Conducting leadership development trainings with people
- Prepping people for meetings
- Building relationships with existing and new organizations,
- Furthering Katal’s mission to advance health, equity, and justice
- Developing flyers, materials, and more for outreach, education, and Katal member-led Actions
- Daily calendar preview and Daily Reflections
- Effectively working with Katal Communications Manager
Supervision + Administration:
- Supervision interns, and some supervision of apprentices
- Tracking and reporting on activities – written and verbal
- Tasks as needed in support of the team and organization
- Share infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff.
Required Knowledge + Experience
- At least five years of work history
- At least 2-3 years of experience as a community organizer or local community leader, and/or comparable experience
- Ability to distinguish between organizing and activism/advocacy
- Basic computer knowledge in programs like Microsoft Office
- You are committed to the mission for Katal.
- Experience as a member of a sports team a plus
- You are motivated and driven. You are committed to community organizing, racial justice and harm reduction.
- You want to learn and grow, and respond well to feedback
- You love the details and are well-organized
- You’re ready to work hard. You enjoy working as part of a team
- You like learning the history about how things came to be
- You can maintain balance in a fast-paced work environment
- You’re an active listener and a willing learner
- You understand that there is some travel required, and periodic work on weekends and evenings.
This is a full time, salaried, non-exempt, entry-level position. Salary between at $45,000 and $62,000, commensurate with experience. Katal offers full health care coverage and competitive benefits, as well as to professional development trainings.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Where did you start organizing, on what issue, and why?
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your resume
- A writing sample of no more than four pages (links to online examples are acceptable).
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – do not call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.