Connecticut Community Organizer
Position: Community Organizer
Location: Hartford, CT
Reports to: Lead Community Organizer
Type: Full time, salaried, exempt
Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We envision a world where all communities have the resources and power to exercise self-determination and participate meaningfully in the democratic process.
We launched in 2016 with three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs;
- and advancing solutions to promote and secure health, equity, and justice
About the position:
The Community Organizer is a member of the Organizing team, building Katal’s base of members and leaders, and developing the leadership of our members. The Community Organizer will work closely with our staff and partners throughout CT to build power, close jails, win our campaigns, and more.
Responsibilities of the Community Organizer include, but are not limited to
- Building a strong member base of directly impacted people;
- Developing members into leaders that will play prominent roles in campaign planning;
- Preparing members and leaders for public speaking and media interviews;
- Working with members to plan, organize, and facilitate regular Monthly Meetings;
- Mobilizing members, supporters, and volunteers for actions, including supporting the work of partner organizations;
- Developing materials including flyers, signs, materials, and more for outreach, education, lobby days, and actions;
- Utilizing the database to track outreach and engagement;
- Engaging in legislative advocacy and participation in public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and lobby days;
- Participating in coalitions across New York and Connecticut;
- Building relationships with new organizations;
- Taking notes, tracking, and reporting on activities – written and verbal;
- Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff.
- Organizing experience (relationship building and maintenance): You have organizing experience working within your community, and have demonstrated a willingness to build and maintain relationships with community members.
- Work Standards: You are able to set high standards of performance for self and others; you are able to self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Tenacity: You are able to stay with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- You have a strong interest in community organizing and are looking for opportunities to develop your experience.
- You are keenly interested in the mission and goals of Katal
- You’re ready to work hard, and you enjoy working as part of a team.
- You are an excellent communicator and a great listener.
- You are motivated and driven.
- You are detail oriented.
- You’re a problem solver, hungry to dive into new challenges with lot’s to learn!
- You think well on your feet, don’t get flustered easily, and when things change, you know how to roll with the punches.
- You understand that there is some travel required, as well as periodic work on weekends and evenings – especially during (but not limited to) the legislative session.
Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage, gym memberships, 401k, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
What you need to know to apply:
This is a full time, salaried position. Salary range is $49k-$62k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers full health care coverage and competitive benefits, with professional development opportunities. As is standard with community organizing jobs, there will be work on nights and weekends. Travel throughout the region, and some travel in the state, is part of the job.
The Community Organizer regularly reports to the Lead Community Organizer.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Where did you start organizing, on what issue, and why?
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- Your resume or CV
Submit your application package by email to [email protected] with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Capital Region Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – do not call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.