Community Organizer - based in NYC
Position: Community Organizer
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Type: Full time, salaried, non-exempt
The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice launched in February 2016 with a mission to advance practical and transformative reforms to systems, policies, and processes to strengthen health, equity, and justice for all. The principles of undoing racism grounds our work.
We are focused on three big, interrelated goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing evidence-based solutions to promote health and safety, eliminate unwarranted racial disparities, and secure equitable communities and outcomes.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape real change.
About the position:
The Community Organizer is a member of the Organizing team, building Katal’s base of members and leaders, and developing the leadership of our members. The Community Organizer will work closely with our staff and partners in Brooklyn, NY, to build power, close Riker Island, win our #LessIsMoreNY campaign, and more.
Responsibilities of the Community Organizer include, but are not limited to
- Building a strong member base of directly impacted people and their loved ones
- Developing members into leaders that will play prominent roles in campaign planning
- Preparing members and leaders for public speaking and media interviews
- Working with members to plan, organize, and support facilitation of regular member meetings
- Mobilizing members, supporters, and volunteers for actions, including supporting the work of partner organizations
- Developing materials including flyers, signs, materials, and more for outreach, education, lobby days, and actions
- Utilizing database to track outreach and engagement
- Engaging in legislative advocacy and participation in public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and lobby days
- Participating in coalitions
- Building relationships with new organizations
- Taking notes, tracking, and reporting on activities – written and verbal
- Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or culture.
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward achieving its vision and the completion of goal.
- Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable
- You have a strong interest in community organizing and are looking for opportunities to develop your experience.
- You are keenly interested in the mission and goals of Katal
- You’re ready to work hard, and you enjoy working as part of a team.
- You are an excellent communicator and a great listener.
- You are motivated and driven.
- You are detail oriented.
- You’re a problem solver, and you are hungry to dive into new challenges with lot's to learn.
- You think well on your feet, don’t get flustered easily, and when things change, you know how to roll with the punches.
- You understand that there is some travel required, as well as periodic work on weekends and evenings – especially during (but not limited to) the legislative session.
Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage, gym memberships, 401k, and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
What you need to know to apply:
This is a full time, salaried position. Salary range is $49k-$62k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers full health care coverage and competitive benefits, with professional development opportunities. As is standard with community organizing jobs, there will be work on nights and weekends. Travel throughout the region, and some travel in the state, is part of the job.
The Community Organizer regularly reports to the Co-Executive Directors.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Where did you start organizing, on what issue, and why?
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- Your resume or CV
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – do not call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.