Spring 2020 Communications Internship
Location: Brooklyn, NY
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking person to join Katal as our communications intern for Spring 2020. Katal works to end mass incarceration and the war on drugs, and to build the leadership and organizing capacity of people in communities impacted by these and other issues. You should apply if want to grow as a communications professional within the social justice, non-profit world.
As a Katal Communications Intern you will have the opportunity to learn and be trained in the following:
- Communications: Tracking and analyzing media, building press lists, developing social media content, preparing print materials, assisting with press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Research: Conducting research related to community issues, policies, and politics.
- Organizing: Working with community members to utilize social media as a tool to build power.
- Advocacy: Reviewing and promoting policy proposals, attending meetings, tabling at conferences and other events.
What you need to know to apply:
This is an unpaid internship. Katal provides interns with a transportation stipend. As an intern, you will work with a professional team that includes organizers, advocates, researchers, and public health experts; you'll receive training and support for your professional growth and development.
Internships start in January and conclude at the end of June. Candidates available 10 hours weekly are preferred.
To apply for our internship, please prepare the following application:
A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why is communications essential to the success of organizations?
- What do you want to learn most within this program?
- Your résumé
Writing sample (no more than two pages or include links to published work)
- Examples: Opinion editorial, newsletter, press release.
(3) Graphic samples (if applicable, not mandatory)
- Examples: Event flyer, social media infographic, logos
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "YOUR NAME (First and Last) – Spring 2020 Brooklyn Intern”
Application deadline is December 20. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – don’t call to check on your submission.