Apprentice Community Organizer
Job Title: Apprentice Community Organizer
Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until filled.
Location: Hartford, CT; currently remote due to COVID-19. Applicants must be based in Connecticut. We will return to work from our Hartford office in fall 2021.
About us: Katal works to strengthen the people, policies, institutions, and movements that advance health, equity, and justice for everyone. We envision a world where all communities have the resources and power to exercise self-determination and participate meaningfully in the democratic process.
We launched in 2016 with three big, interrelated goals:
- building leadership and organizing capacity of neighborhood residents, as well as organizers, advocates, and community groups, to effectively drive and shape systemic change;
- ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs;
- and advancing solutions to promote and secure equity, health, and justice.
About the position:
The Apprentice Community Organizer is a member of the Organizing team, building Katal’s base of members and leaders, and developing the leadership of our members. As an organizer-in-training, the Apprentice Community Organizer will work closely with our members, staff and partners throughout NY to grow membership, build power, win campaigns, and more.
Responsibilities of the Apprentice Community Organizer include, but are not limited to
- Building a strong member base of people impacted by mass incarceration and mass criminalization
- Developing members into leaders that play prominent roles in campaign planning
- Preparing members and leaders for public speaking and media interviews
- Working with members to plan, organize, and facilitate regular Monthly and Weekly Meetings
- Mobilizing members, supporters, and volunteers for actions, including supporting the work of partner organizations
- Utilizing the database to track outreach and engagement
- Developing materials -- including flyers, signs, materials, social media posts, emails, and more -- for virtual outreach, education, lobby days, and actions
- Engaging in legislative advocacy and participation in public forums, coalition meetings, conferences, and virtual lobby days
- Participating in coalitions across Connecticut
- Building relationships with new organizations
- Taking notes, tracking, and reporting on activities – written and verbal
- Sharing infrastructure/administrative responsibilities with other staff
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Organizing experience (relationship building and maintenance): You have experience working within your community, and have demonstrated a willingness to build and maintain relationships with community members.
- Work Standards: You are able to set high standards of performance for self and others; you are able to self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Tenacity: You are able to stay with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- You are ready to learn.
- You are interested in community organizing and are looking for opportunities to develop experience as an organizer.
- You are keenly interested in Katal’s mission and work.
- You enjoy being part of a team.
- You are motivated and driven to grow.
Compensation: Katal offers competitive benefits, including full health care coverage, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; gym memberships; access to commuter benefits and 401k retirement plans; and more. This position comes with multiple professional development opportunities.
What you need to know to apply:
This is an entry-level position with opportunities for development and advancement. Salary is $20 - $23.50/ hour (commensurate with experience), plus full benefits.
As is standard with community organizing jobs, there will be work on nights and weekends. Travel throughout the region, and some travel in the state, is part of the job.
The Apprentice Community Organizer reports to the BLOC Program Coordinator.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that explains a bit about who you are, and why you are interested in this apprenticeship.
- Your resume (if you have one)
Submit your application materials by email to [email protected] with the subject line: "First Name Last Name – Apprentice Community Organizer” App
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the apprenticeship slots are filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – do not call to check on your submission.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.