2020 Communications Internship
You'll be based in: Brooklyn, NY
Reporting to: Manager of Comms. & Media Strategy
Type: Part time, 2 days a week (May-August 2020)
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking person to join Katal as our communications intern for Spring/Summer 2020. Katal works to end mass incarceration and the war on drugs, and to build the leadership and organizing capacity of people in communities impacted by these and other issues. You should apply if want to grow as a communications professional within the social justice, non-profit world.
Katal is an organization with big ideas and bold, visionary goals. We’re focused on:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Promoting justice, equity, and community safety.
- Advancing health-based approaches to drug policy.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of organizers, advocates, and community organization
As a Katal Communications Intern you will have the opportunity to learn and be trained in the following:
- Communications: Tracking and analyzing media, building press lists, developing social media content, preparing print materials, assisting with press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Research: Conducting research related to community issues, policies, and politics.
- Organizing: Working with community members to utilize social media as a tool to build power.
- Advocacy: Reviewing and promoting policy proposals, attending meetings, tabling at conferences and other events
What you need to know to apply:
This is an unpaid internship. Katal provides interns with a transportation stipend. As an intern, you will work with a professional team that includes organizers, advocates, researchers, and public health experts; you'll receive training and support for your professional growth and development.
To apply for our internship, please prepare the following application:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
A. Why is communications essential to the success of organizations?
B. What do you want to learn most within this program?
- Your résumé
- Writing sample (no more than two pages or include links to published work)
- Examples: Opinion editorial, newsletter, press release.
- (3) Graphic samples (if applicable, not mandatory) Examples: Event flyer, social media infographic, logos
Email your submission to email@example.com with the subject header "[First Name, Last Name], Candidate for Communications Intern"
Applications will be accepted until March 30th, 2020. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every submission. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please don’t call to check on your submission.