Locations: New York, NY; Albany, NY; Hartford, CT
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking people to be Katal’s interns for Summer 2018 in our New York City, NY office; Albany, NY office; and Hartford, CT office. You’ll participate on criminal justice reform, drug policy, and public health related projects like pretrial justice in New York (including bail and speedy trial reform), the Albany Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD), and more. You should apply if you are committed to fighting for health, equity, and justice. You should apply if you love to learn, problem solve, and enjoy being part of a team.
Katal is an organization with big ideas and bold, visionary goals. We’re focused on:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Promoting justice, equity, and community safety.
- Advancing health-based approaches to drug policy.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of organizers, advocates, and community organizations.
As a Katal Intern you will have the opportunity to participate in:
- Research: Tracking and analyzing media, conducting research on stakeholders, identifying strategic partners.
- Communications: Conducting research, writing fact sheets, preparing press materials.
- Advocacy: Attending meetings, assisting in planning of press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Outreach: Attending and tabling at conferences, meetings and other events.
- Administration: Taking notes, data entry, other tasks as needed.
What you need to know to apply:
This is an unpaid internship. Katal does provide interns with a transportation stipend. As an intern, you will work with a professional team of organizers, advocates, and policy experts, and receive training and support for your professional growth and development. Internships start in June and conclude at the end of August. To qualify, candidates must be available at least three full days a week in the summer. Those interested in contributing to Katal, but who can’t commit to three full days a week, should contact us about volunteer opportunities, at email@example.com.
To apply for an internship, please prepare the following application:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions: (1) Why are you committed to advancing health, equity, and justice? (2) What do you want to learn? (3) What can you contribute?
- Your résumé
- While not required, a writing sample is welcome (no more than two pages).
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "[YOUR NAME – First and Last] – Summer 2018 Intern [LOCATION - indicate New York, Albany, Hartford]”
Applications will be accepted until Feb 16, 2018. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please don’t call to check on your submission.