Locations: Hartford | Albany | Brooklyn
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking folks to be Katal’s interns for Fall 2018. We have offices in Hartford, CT, and in Albany and Brooklyn, NY. We're working to end mass incarceration and the war on drugs, and to build the leadership and organizing capacity of people in communities impacted by these and other issues. You should apply if you are committed to fighting for health, equity, and justice, and want to learn about community organizing and policy advocacy.
Katal is an organization with big ideas and bold, visionary goals. We’re focused on:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Promoting justice, equity, and community safety.
- Advancing health-based approaches to drug policy.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of organizers, advocates, and community organizations.
As a Katal Intern you will have the opportunity to learn one or more of the following:
- Organizing: Working with community members to build power.
- Research: Conducting research related to community issues, policies, and politics.
- Communications: Tracking and analyzing media, preparing materials, assisting with press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Advocacy: Reviewing and promoting policy proposals, attending meetings, tabling at conferences and other events.
What you need to know to apply:
This is an unpaid internship. Katal provides interns with a transportation stipend. As an intern, you will work with a professional team that includes organizers, advocates, researchesr, lawyers, and public health experts; you'll receive training and support for your professional growth and development. Internships start in September and conclude at the end of December, with some flexibility. To qualify, candidates must be available at least two full days a week, though it tends to be best for all if you're available at least three days a week.
To apply for an internship, please prepare the following materials:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions: (1) Why do you want to intern at Katal? (2) If you were selected for the internship, what would you want to learn? (3) What can you contribute?
- Your résumé or CV
- While not required, a writing sample is welcome (no more than two pages).
Submit your application package by email to email@example.com with the subject line: Your Name (First and Last); Fall 2018 Intern; Location (Hartford, Albany, or Brookyn).
Applications will be accepted until August 30th, 2018. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every submission. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please don’t call to check on your submission.