Job Opening: Summer 2017 Internship
Location: New York, NY
Katal is a new organization with big ideas and bold, visionary goals. We're focused on:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Promoting justice, equity, and community safety.
- Advancing health-based approaches to drug policy.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity of organizers, advocates, and community organizations.
Summer 2017 Internship Opening:
We’re seeking a passionate and hardworking person to be Katal’s intern for Summer 2017. You’ll participate on projects like the #CLOSErikers campaign, in New York City, the Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD) project, and more. You should apply if you are committed to fighting for health, equity, and justice. You should apply if you love to learn, problem solve, and enjoy being part of a team.
The Katal intern will have the opportunity to participate in:
- Research: Tracking and analyzing media, conducting research on stakeholders, identifying strategic partners.
- Communications: Conducting research, writing fact sheets, preparing press materials.
- Advocacy: Attending meetings, assisting in planning of press conferences, rallies, and events.
- Outreach: phone banking, membership recruitment, tabling, attending monthly membership and supporter meetings.
- Administration: Taking notes, data entry, other tasks as needed.
What you need to know to apply:
As an intern, you will work with a professional team of organizers, advocates, and policy experts, and receive training and support for your professional growth and development. Internships start in June and conclude at the end of August. To qualify, candidates must be available at least three full days a week and live in the New York City Metropolitan area. Those interested in contributing to Katal, but who can’t commit three full days a week, should contact us about volunteer opportunities, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for an internship, please prepare the following application:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- Why do you want to intern at Katal?
- What do you want to learn?
- What can you contribute?
- Your résumé
- While not required, a writing sample is welcome (no more than two pages).
Submit your application package by email to email@example.com with the subject line: "[YOUR NAME – First and Last] – Summer 2017 Intern”
We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – don’t call to check on your submission.