Job Opportunity: Senior Legal Fellow
Location: New York, NY
We are seeking to hire for this position immediately. The Senior Legal Fellow will be based in New York City and is funded through June of 2018. We strongly encourage those interested in the position to apply immediately.
Katal launched in February 2016 with a mission to advance practical and transformative reforms to systems, policies, and processes to strengthen health, equity, and justice for everyone. The principles of undoing racism grounds our work.
We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing health, equity, and justice in public safety and drug control.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity among local leaders, advocates, and community groups to effectively work for social change.
More details about Katal can be found on our website: www.katalcenter.org.
We’re hiring a Senior Legal Fellow.
We’re seeking a passionate, hardworking, and detail-oriented person to join Katal as our Senior Legal Fellow. This Fellowship Opportunity is made possible by support from a leading human rights organization, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights. The Fellowship is funded through June 2018. We are seeking to hire immediately.
The Senior Legal Fellow will be a core member of our Policy & Campaigns team, working on reforming factors related to pre-trial, including bail and speedy trial reform.
Responsibilities of the Senior Legal Fellow include:
- Advocacy: advocating for legislation at the municipal and state level; analyzing legislative proposals; building and cultivating strong relationships with policymakers, organizations, and community members; conducting presentations; representing Katal in hearings, public forums, coalition meetings, and conferences; strategizing to advance campaign goals
- Research: analyzing complex policy and legislation; drafting legislative language; issue research; producing fact sheets, reports, memos, and meeting summaries; preparing oral and written testimony
- Communications: drafting communications content, including for press releases, op-eds, fact sheets, social media, etc.
- Administration: tasks as needed in support of the team and organization
Eligible candidates for the Senior Legal Fellow must:
Have At least 5 – 7 years experience as a practicing attorney in criminal law in New York, OR comparable experience in policy advocacy/expertise related to the core issues which are the focus of this fellowship – pretrial justice (pretrial detention, bail, speedy trial)
Have a demonstrated commitment to racial justice
Possess strong writing skills
Be passionate about ending mass incarceration and developing public safety solutions oriented around human rights and rooted in health, equity, and justice.
Be extremely detail oriented. The ideal candidate is a problem solver, hungry to dive into new challenges with steep learning curves, and ready to work with a range of stakeholders to advance concrete change.
What you need to know to apply:
The fellowship position is a senior, full-time position, supported by Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, and is funded through June of 2018. The salary range is $65,000 - $85,000, annually, commensurate with experience.
The fellowship includes:
- Full health care coverage and competitive benefits
- Access to professional development trainings.
- The opportunity to work with an experienced team of policy advocates, community organizers, public health and public safety professionals, and our amazing partners.
- Opportunities to participate in cutting edge criminal justice reform campaigns, including #CLOSErikers and statewide criminal justice reform.
- The Katal leadership team will make a significant investment in your development and growth during the fellowship, including with coaching and training.
You must live in the New York City Metropolitan area. There will be work on some nights and weekends. Travel is part of the job.
The Senior Legal Fellow reports to the Co-Executive Directors and works closely with the Director of Strategy and Campaigns.
To apply: Please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- How do you meet the eligibility criteria?
- Why do you want to join an organization committed to advancing health, equity, and justice?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
Submit your application package by email to email@example.com with the subject line:
"First Name Last Name – Senior Legal Fellow”
Only application packages received by email will be considered. Because of the volume of emails we receive, we regret that cannot respond to every application; we will only contact those applicants we select for an interview. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been impacted by the system of mass incarceration and the war on drugs.