Position: Community Organizer
Location: Albany, NY / Capital Region
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Type: Full time, salaried, non-exempt
The Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice launched in February 2016 with a mission to advance practical and transformative reforms to systems, policies, and processes to strengthen health, equity, and justice for all. The principles of undoing racism grounds our work.
We are focused on three big, inter-related goals:
- Ending mass criminalization, mass incarceration, and the war on drugs.
- Advancing health, equity, and justice in public safety and drug control.
- Building leadership and organizing capacity among community members, local leaders, advocates, and community groups to effectively work for social change.
About the position:
We’re seeking an extraordinary, driven, diligent person to join Katal as our Community Organizer. The Community Organizer will be a part of our growing community organizing team and work closely with our staff and partners in Albany and the Capital Region.
Responsibilities of the Community Organizer include:
- Organizing: Building a local base -- recruiting and developing new members and leaders; conducting outreach; coordinating and mobilizing for actions; managing logistics for member meetings; and more.
- Advocacy: Engaging in legislative advocacy and coordinating Katal’s participation in public forums, coalition meetings, and conferences; collaborating closely with our partners.
- Communications: Conducting research, writing fact sheets, preparing materials, collaborating with communications staff.
- Administration: Updating member database; tracking activities; additional administrative tasks as needed.
You might be the right person for this job if:
You believe in the power of everyday people working together to transform systems and win real change.
You have a strong work ethic. You’re reliable, dedicated, and trustworthy. You love working as part of a team and want to be part of building a movement for justice.
You pay attention to detail. You like solving problems. You dive into difficult challenges. You are motivated to learn constantly and improve processes and skills.
You have 2-3 years of experience as a community organizer. You’re not afraid of new challenges with steep learning curves. You think well on your feet, don’t get flustered easily, and when things change, you know how to roll with the punches. You are comfortable navigating a range of diverse spaces.
You’re a good listener. You are incredibly comfortable communicating with people on the phone, in writing, or in person and enjoy meeting new people and building strong relationships.
You are motivated and driven. You are committed to harm reduction and racial justice. You are always open to learning, you seek to grow, and you believe that anything you do is worth doing well.
What you need to know to apply:
This is a full time, salaried position with opportunities for development and advancement.
Salary range is $40k-$48k, commensurate with experience. Katal offers full health care coverage and competitive benefits, with professional development opportunities. You must live in the Capital Region and preferably in Albany. This is an organizing job -- there will be work on nights and weekends. Travel throughout the region, and some travel in the state, is part of the job.
Note: We will consider adjusting the position and salary to consider applicants who are senior-level organizers – with 5 – 7 years demonstrated community organizing experience.
The Community Organizer regularly reports to the Organizing Director; until the director position is filled, the Community Organizer will report to the Co-Executive Directors.
To apply, please prepare the following application package:
- A one-page cover letter that answers these questions:
- What is your definition of community organizing?
- Why do you want to join Katal?
- What will you bring to Katal to help strengthen the organization?
- Your résumé
- A writing sample of no more than four pages (links to online examples are acceptable). If you don’t have a writing sample, you can: send links to any public speaking programs you may have participated in – OR send a one-minute video outlining why you want to work at Katal.
- Your salary requirement
Submit your application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
"First Name Last Name – Community Organizer”
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled. Only application packages received by email will be considered. We’ll contact you only if you’re under consideration, so please – don’t call to check on your submission
Katal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, formerly incarcerated and/or convicted people are encouraged to apply.